I've owned the Grainline Studio Archer shirt pattern for what feels like forever, but I was too intimidated by the idea of making a shirt to use it. I finally decided to bite the bullet and tackle my fear of collars and buttonholes, and now I'm really glad I did.
I like a good 'conversation print' so I snapped up a couple of metres of this eye print cotton when I saw it on eBay. I juuust managed to squeak my shirt out of 2 metres, but the inside collar stand and inside yoke are plain white cotton. That actually worked out pretty well, as the cotton is quite sheer, and the white looks better than another layer of the pattern showing through. Because of this, I also underlined the button band and the pockets in white cotton.
This version is view 1 of the pattern, grading from a size 2 at the shoulders to a size 6 at the hips Unfortunately in doing this I lost some of the waist shaping and the shirt feels a little bit too wide. Next time I'll reshape the side seams and try and remove some width under the arms. I also added 2 inches to the length of the body, and next time I will take some length out of the sleeves.
I found the construction really simple, thanks in no small part to the brilliant sew along on the Grainline blog. I did manage to sew the collar on upside down and the yolk inside out a couple of times, but that was my own fault for sewing whilst tired!
This shirt is far from perfect, but I'm really proud of it! I'm already itching to sew up some more, and I'm considering taking on a bit more of a challenge and sewing a silk version for summer.